Amended September 2019
NOTE AMENDMENTS FOR THE 21/22 SEASON ONLY!
- Rule 8a - The second sentence is suspended for 21/22 Season.
- Rule 8b - there will be no penalty points awarded for "playing short" or failing to play a match
- As stated above we all agreed clubs to act in a spirit of sportsmanship and not abuse this relaxation.
- Rule 8c - Will have no impact this year as no penalty points will be awarded.
- Rule 8e - For this season only matches may be arranged to be played right through to end of April if required.
- Rule 14 - All of Rule 14 is suspended for the 21/22 season
- The name shall be The Ipswich and District Badminton League.
- All member clubs must be affiliated to the Suffolk Badminton Association or their appropriate County Association and competitive play must
be conducted in accordance with the BADMINTON England Laws of Badminton.
- The Annual General Meeting will be called during the first two
weeks of September. Any affiliated club member may attend with only two
representatives of each club allowed to vote. It will be followed by a
meeting to enable clubs to finalise their fixtures for the coming season.
- The league shall be administered by a committee consisting of
Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and up to seven committee members, all to
be elected annually. The county secretary or county nominee to be ex
officio. A quorum will consist of any three members of the committee
- The annual subscription shall be determined at the Annual General
Meeting. It will be doubled if not paid by the 30th November. The club may
be expelled if still not paid by the 31st January.
to and withdrawals from the league must be received by the Secretary
before the 1st August prior to the Annual General Meeting. The committee
will then recommend, for approval at the Annual General Meeting, the
formation of divisions. Late entries up to the time of the Annual General
Meeting will only be accepted to fill vacancies.
the exception of promotion/demotion between Divisions One and Two, the
league secretary will promote the winning team and the runner up to the
next higher division. The bottom two teams will be demoted in each
the case of promotion/demotion between Divisions One and Two only the
winning team of Division Two will be promoted and only the bottom team of
Division One will be demoted.
- Rules 6b and 6c apply to Mens, Ladies
and Mixed League.
- A match shall consist of two teams of six persons playing a total
of eighteen games. Each team shall be divided into three pairs playing two
consecutive games against each of the pairs in the other team. No person
may play in more than one league and/or cup match in any one evening. The
term "league" shall apply to any league affiliated to BADMINTON England
Each team shall play one home and one
away match with each other team in the division. Club secretaries must arrange
these matches before the Annual General
Meeting or immediately following and must forward a list of their club's
matches to the league secretary before the first match is played. All matches
are to be played on Monday - Friday evenings unless both clubs mutually agree
on some other time. It is the responsibility of the home club to confirm the
match date, time and place to the away club before 1st October.
The date of a match may be altered if
both clubs concerned and the league secretary agree. If both clubs do not
agree, the match may only be altered due to the unavailability of the hall or
adverse weather conditions. In the event of a match being cancelled the
offending team shall concede the match 0-9 and in addition have two points
deducted. If a club is unable to raise a full team, as many games as possible
are to be played and the unplayed games shall be awarded to the opposing side.
The offending team will have one point deducted from the result.
If a team by a combination of rules
8b and 8c has more than 4 points deducted it shall automatically be expelled.
All matches are to be played to a
conclusion on the agreed night. (Excluding rule 8b)
All matches must be arranged to be
played before the end of March. Any matches postponed due to unavailability or
adverse weather conditions may be played in April with the agreement of the
No club shall be permitted to have
more than two teams in any one division. Where a club has two teams in the same
division, all matches between these teams must be completed by the end of
No club shall play in Divisions 1 and 2
of the league unless their playing conditions are passed as satisfactory by the
All matches are to be played with
cork based shuttles. All division 1
matches are to be played with feather shuttlecocks.
- Prior to a match opposing captains or their representatives shall
exchange details of the constitution of teams.
- It is the responsibility of the home club, to forward the result
card to the league results secretary within fourteen days. Where a card
with an incorrect and/or incomplete information is submitted a fine of £3
- £10 will be made on each club at the discretion of the committee. If
the scorecard is not received by the league secretary within 14 days of
the match taking a place a fine will be imposed on the home team only,
The first late card will be a fine of £3 rising by £1 for every
subsequent late card.
- Each team is to be given two points for a win and one point for a
draw. In the event of two or more teams tying with an equal number of given
points, the final placings will be decided by the number of rubbers won and
if still equal followed by the greatest difference in rally points..
- Matches may be played without umpires providing both captains agree
to this measure.
- Players can represent only one club in the mixed league and only
one club in the mens/ladies league in any one season.
- When a club enters more than one team in a league, the seniority
of each team will be designated by the suffix of consecutive letters
starting at "A" for the most senior or first team.
- The Mixed, Men’s
and Ladies leagues will be treated separately for the purpose of nomination of
players. A club must nominate six members of each team other than its lowest or
only team in writing to the League Secretary before any team plays its first
match. Failure to do this will result in each team (except the lowest) being
deducted two points.
- Nominated players
will be ineligible to play for lower teams.
- All players
nominated for a team have to play:-
- at least four matches in a division of seven teams or more during the season in that team or
a higher team.
- at least three matches in a division of six teams or less during the season in that team or a
- A replacement mustbe nominated if a club becomes aware during the season that an original
nominated player will be unable to complete his/her required number of matches.
If a club fails to comply with this the league reserves the right to impose
penalty points on the offending team/s.
- A player may notplay in a team if he/she has in the same season appeared in three or more
matches for any more senior team.
- The league agrees to adopt BADMINTON England Child Protection Policy and Implementation Procedures. All
individual members are deemed to have read, understood and assented to the
BADMINTON England Code of Ethics and Conduct (“Code”) and as such
recognise and adhere to the principles and responsibilities embodied in
- These rules shall be submitted to the Suffolk Badminton Association.
- No alteration will be made to these rules except at an Annual
General Meeting or a meeting specially convened for that purpose. Notice
in writing of any resolution or any proposed alteration of these rules
must be forwarded to the league secretary six weeks before any such
- The Committee shall have power to decide on any matters not covered
by these rules and its decisions shall be final.